National Regulatory Committee Consultancy Services
GPC provided PwC with subject matter expert (SME) support in conducting a situation assessment and development of recommendations for the refinement of policies and regulations intended to strengthen the use of GIS technology across the utility sector in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This effort resulted in a series of specific recommendations and the definition of actions required for their implementation.
As part of the collaborative consultancy services provider for the National Regulatory Committee, GPC worked on the following:
- Review and Assess Current State: To identify and review documentation and participate in reviewing the current state report and add comments/content where applicable.
- Benchmarking: Provide advice and review on benchmarking examples form different countries
- Develop Framework: Discuss and finalize the develop framework based on PWC proposal and best practice
How GPC Empowers the Client
GPC Group benefits the client by utilizing our extensive experience in managing technology and digital projects in general, and in the utility sector specifically which was the focus of this project.
The Bottom Line
GPC team supported the role of a GIS SME addressing the policy, regulatory, human capacity and technical matters associated with the utility sector within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. GPC’s role included:
- Support engagement interviews and information gathering from all the key utility GIS sectors in the KSA.
- Support the evaluation and refinement of case study information from regional and international examples including the identification of approaches and lessons learned that may be relevant to the NRC;
- Assess the current state of utility GIS within the Kingdom and comparison of this state relative to the regional and international case studies for the identification of gaps and challenges;
- Prepare and document recommendations for policy and regulatory measures that are required to address the current gaps and challenges that will need to be put in place to further streamline, harmonize and optimize the use of geospatial technology in the utility sector;
- Prepare a high level implementation plan for the carrying out the recommendations of the study.
About Our Customer
The National Regulatory Council (NRC) was established in part to analyze current and ongoing policy and regulatory matters across key emerging technology related markets, to develop recommendations for improving key aspects of the sector and to ensure aligned implementation of the recommendations over time.
GIS use across the utility sector in KSA is in a nascent state. Historical utility rate subsidies masked the need for detailed utility map and maintenance records that would normally be required under a public utiliy rates assessment process. As subsidies are removed, the need for more accurate record-keeping and efficient operations will become more obvious, suggesting that progressive utility regulators and operators should take steps now to build their enterprise GIS.