Geospatial support for food safety, agriculture and livestock is an emerging field that incorporates spatial and geographic dimensions to capture, manage, analysis and display agricultural and food safety information. Such capabilities are very valuable for deriving and visualizing this information in a manner that highlights the location, extent and characteristics of agriculture and food safety themes, providing valuable insights for policy development and decision making. It also offers capabilities for spatially correlating and analyzing these themes in new and creative ways that were not previously feasible using traditional methods and tools.
During the past years ADFCA has managed to build a capable information technology infrastructure and support team. Although there are many applications and services now in place, the organization has recognized that significant additional benefits can be gained by adding a GIS capability to the Authority’s enterprise information infrastructure. To enhance ADFCA’s internal Geographic Information System (GIS) capacities, it entrusted GPC-GIS to develop the ADFCA GIS Roadmap, develop foundation GIS applications and initiate the ADFCA GIS operational infrastructure.
The ADFCA Enterprise GIS platform intends to improve operational efficiency, promote sustainability and empower decision makers at all level of government to make better-informed decisions.
The scope of services provided by GPC-GIS covered the following activities:
- Establishing Geodatabase for the foundation applications.
- Map Viewer with essential analytical tools used which can host informative map services from ADFCA.
- Custom ADFCA Facilities Finder.
- RPW Status & Services Applications.
- Application regarding what, where, and when to plant, along with interactive window for farmers feedback.
- Advisory application for wells related services.
- Secure Map Viewer for food security purposes with essential analytical tools and KPI’s.
- Web Application for food inspection analysis reflecting the current inspection planning and executed activities.
- Geo-enabled Mobile inspection application for forms finding and data collection.
- Map Viewer with essential analytical tools for Animal Wealth Sector (spread of number and type of livestock), how to utilize the GIS infrastructure and services established for various business areas to relate animal wealth by other sectors, and analyze any dependencies.
- Geo-enabling certain executive reports (6 reports) using Operations Dashboard.